.SIMPLICITY.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Behind the Name

BEHIND THE NAME

♥ MY NAME : JESSICA

Origin : Hebrew

Pronounced: Jes-i-ka

Meaning: Wealthy, God Beholds

Info on this name:

Name invented by Shakespeare for the daughter of a Jewish merchant in 'The Merchant of Venice'. Shakespeare probably based it on the biblical name ISCAH which would have been spelled Jesca in his time.

Jessica is also sometimes used as a feminine form of JESSE.

"Jessica" was the most popular female baby name throughout the 1980s and 1990s in the United States. It also rose to #1 in England and Wales in 2005, dropping to #3 in 2006.

Chinese characters : 杰西卡

Pinyin : Jié xī ka


♥ MY CHINESE NAME : 陈哲思

Translingual

Mandarin Han character :
[zhé (zhe2) ]- wise, sage
[sī (si1)]- think, consider, ponder

Cantonese Hanzi :
[ jit3]
[si1]

Korean Hanja :
[cheol 철]
[hangeul 사 - sa]

Japanese Kanji :
[On てつ (tetsu) Kun: あきらか (akiraka), さとい (satoi) ]
[(grade 2 kanji) [On: し (shi) Kun: おもう (omou), おもい (omoi) ]


Direct translation to Jessica using my chinese name is 哲思卡.. sounds similiar right? People often asked me whether my parents gave me my english name first and then translate it to chinese? cos my chinese name is 陈哲思. hahah! I know my name sounds kinda weird.. You seldom see girls with the character for their name.. usually found in guys. eg. 唐禹哲, 許孟哲, 張信哲, 李玖哲 ...n blahblahblah.. lol

--- last but nt least.. REMEMBER - the NIKE ad.. tq :)

4 more days to go

No comments: